CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Surgery a success and Homeward Bound!

September 17, 2008: Harley's TPO surgery to repair his severed ACL was successful with no complications or issues. I received the call from Dr. Kennedy around 1:00 confirming that everything went routine. He explained that he would give Harley a complete check-up the next morning and call when it was time to come get him. Mom had driven up that morning to relieve my Dad since this wasn't a planned emergency, we all had to adjust our schedules and I'm very thankful my parents were able to help me out! KUDOS to Mom and Dad!!!

September 18, 2008: Homeward bound!!! Today was pick up day for Mr. Harley! As I have said before, the recovery period for this type of surgery definitely teaches you to be patient. Obviously, Harley can't treat himself or perform his own physical therapy so that's where Mom comes into play. For the first two week, Harley must receive physical therapy from me three times a day, 3 exercises, 15 reps each followed by icing the incision 15 minutes after every therapy session. This also includes 2-3 brief walks followed by icing. Three to four weeks, Harley must receive physical therapy three times a day but without icing and 3-5 brief walks per day. Four to six weeks, multiple short walks, 20-30 minutes three times a day and sit to stand exercises. We are required to see Dr. Kennedy for our 6 week check-up appointment for him to review his progress and hopefully be released. However, we do have certain exercises we must perform during the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th week. Good gracious, I love this dog but he has definitely taught me a valuable lesson: patience!

I will keep you posted on his progress through these trying times! We've got a game plan going here so we are staying focused because we've got our Florida trip coming up in early November and we have to hear good news at our 6 week appointment!

2 comments:

Angela said...

I'm happy that Harley is okay:)

Alicia, Brandon and Reagan said...

Glad to hear he's doing good! Dixie tore her ACL a couple of years ago and has done very well...knock on wood...